Back to Pen and Paper

Reading news of Edward Snowden and other related news surely reminds me that pen and paper is not outdated. It might also be the safest in keeping secrets but very likely to dispose off easily even if you intend to keep it for long. However that is the trade off to pay in order to have more privacy. 

Cyberspace has never been safe if anyone wants to keep or transfer data that are sensitive, at the same time that same space helps to cut down time and cost in doing the same acts. So how is it then to manage this problem?

There are links in everything that we do. There can't be just an extreme to choose from. One will just continue to be stuck in the same place, circulating non-stop.

We learn of storage of information from pen and paper to going digital. Evolving each step, making storage type smaller with bigger capacity. Many has caught up with it even myself. Using digital technology to type my journal, instead of the conventional way of pen and paper, keeping information in the phone, transferring documents through web and pen-drives, and usage of social media networks. All these could put me into a position where I could be tracked down easily if wanted. Putting myself out there with too much information is not all that good. While some of these technologies do some good, but to what extend will it actually safeguard my privacy?

There are always passwords, codes, or settings that can hide or protect my information but that is only to common people. What about those in the higher position or hackers that can actually access to those information even though was already deleted so-called through the settings? Government that are monitoring all these information will tell that it is to protect the country from any outside attacks that could threaten the national security such as terrorism. So in order to minimize the chances of having too much information out there, might as well just keep the information to one self. Back to pen and paper.

Of course if the information is intentionally for others to see, then it is done at your own risk. Whatever being said or done have their own consequences whether good or bad.

However sometimes I still prefer to write with pen and paper because first of all my handwriting will not deteriorate. Every time after a short holiday that requires me not to write any long sentences, I have to struggle to take down notes fast in the early period of studies. Second, nobody can and will know or find out the things that I've written down. I don't know about others but every time I see my handwriting filling up the whole page, there is a sense of like reading from an old manuscript. Thinking what was in my mind then when I was writing that down. Therapeutic? 

Now with ample of time in my hands, why not try to write a daily journal of what I've done the whole day. It's like writing a detailed account of my daily life. Will see how long can this last. Time to get some paper!

Comments